River Cottage Gluten Free

For many months I've been dying to tell you all about the gluten free cook book that I have written for River Cottage, published by Bloomsbury.

I wanted to take you aside and talk about how exciting it was to have the support of a team. How sensitively they did their very best to smooth away the wrinkles and snip off any excesses until my recipes were as simple and easy to follow as possible. That process felt like an education.

When everything was written up and fully checked out by recipe testers and food enthusiasts, gluten free or not (thank you all!), we started to photograph everything. We ate our way through each shoot with glee, licking our fingers before cracking on with yet another gorgeous photo. At the end of every day I gave a huge sigh of pride, the kind that you feel when your children do something just wonderful. That team made my babies look just about as good as they possibly could have. I wanted to tell you then too. But we agreed to wait, because there is nothing worse than being told you have a treat in store and having to wait months and months for it to arrive!

The book is full of everyday recipes, stuff I hope you'll make again and again. It is a celebration of gluten free food, not a list of what you can't eat. There are also some complex projects like puff pastry, to save for a rainy day when you feel like doing something a little more impressive. From sourdough to brioche, you'll find breads to keep even the most determined of gluten eaters happy. My starting point was to look at the qualities inherent in gluten free flours and grains, asking myself - what would taste great with this? I learnt that Teff tastes great with chocolate and makes a cracking sourdough, buckwheat likes squash, chestnut gives a delicious bready flavour and sorghum a mild wheaty chew. Every time I pulled out my bags of flour I felt the thrill of those endless possibilities ahead of me, what combination to try today? I hope that bakers of all persuasions will embrace these incredible flours for the depth and nutritional value that they can bring to a dish - not just us gluten freebies.

It's worth stating here that I don't believe there is anything wrong with gluten - if you can eat it then I am happy for you. But if you do need to eat gluten free, or are one of those lovely people who care to cook delicious food for friends and family who need to eat gluten free - this one's for you, enjoy!

The book will be published on January 14th 2016. You can pre-order copies from Amazon and Bloomsbury.

x x x