Saturday, May 7, 2011

Totally Nákd Gluten Free Snacks


Hmm, I wonder how much spam that title will generate?

Although I'm frequently asked to review gluten free products and supposedly nutritious snack items - it's rare that I find something I can actually get behind. I'm afraid my darlings, there is rather a lot of rubbish out there being peddled in the name of health food.

So I was delighted when the lovely people at Nákd sent me a care package filled with snack bars - just in case I wanted to say a little something about them.

Finley opened all the interesting post in his customary Cookie Monster style and gasped in wonder when out of one of the parcels flew seven jewel coloured bars of joy. He gathered them protectively to his chest like septuplets and took them away to a quiet corner to plan the order they would be eaten in.

The bars are made entirely from dried fruit and nuts, with flavours provided by cocoa, spices, berries and natural flavourings. A little like Lära Bars, but thankfully, not quite as sweet. Whilst I'm not a huge fan of snacking on sweet stuff, the minerals, vitamins and fibre contained in the bars provide nourishment to accompany the sweetness.
I don't really eat much dried fruit, so Fin got to test the lot. His all out favourite was the new Berry Delight bar, but he also loved Cocoa Orange, Pecan Pie, Cashew Cookie and Ginger Bread. In fact, he would have said yes to any of them!

The bars are naturally gluten free and useful if you're looking for something to keep you going, stick in your pocket for a long ramble or want a treat that isn't full of sugar and nasty fats. Pecan Pie and Cashew Cookie are even SCD legal!

Remember that although there are nuts in the bars to slow things down, even natural dried fruit can unbalance your blood sugar if eaten to excess. So treat these bars as a lovely snacky indulgence.

Some people are sensitive to the phytic acid in un-soaked nuts - cashews are especially difficult to digest for those folks. Anyone following a low salicylate diet, give a wide berth as these bars are choc full of salicylates.

Everyone else, tuck in!