Go Ahead Honey it's Gluten Free! Breakfast in Bed with a Chocolate & Banana Breakfast Smoothie


Unfortunately, the host of this month's Go Ahead Honey it's Gluten Free  - Kristine Ganes of Gluten Freeda - was a no show and I can't find a way to contact her. So I'm going to take the reins back and host this month myself. 

Kristine's theme was Breakfast in Bed - that meal which is given out of love, for Mother's day, Father's day, New Year, Valentines and lazy childless weekends. Food should be indulgent or light, maybe accompanied with a glass of something chilled and bubbly or even a bunch of sweet smelling blooms. The recipient of breakfast in bed should feel as though they are royalty, or at least minor aristocracy, and should never need to worry about the crumbs in the bed (these should be discretely whisked off whilst the breakfastee steams up the bathroom and uses all the fluffiest towels).

Be creative and imagine what you would most like to wake up to - maybe it's a wicked cocktail, or a lovingly prepared fruit salad - or would you go all the way to a thick stack of pancakes or a full English Breakfast? Surprise me my sleepy darlings - but remember not to wear flammable pyjamas whilst you cook. The deadline this month is Monday April 26th and I will post the round up at the end of the month. 

Please spread the word and encourage as many folks as possible to take part. You don't even have to be a gluten free blogger, just bring your Pjs and a pillow and we'll make room!


So Finley and myself have been enjoying the slower mornings of Easter holiday. We wake with Nick, to show solidarity and look kind-a busy. When Nick heads out the front door with a business step, we mooch and ponder the effortless stretch of day ahead, lazily considering breakfast as a first rung on the ladder.

I generally plump for my favourite start to the day, an apple breakfast (it's just a variation on the banana breakfast) a crisp, sweet chopped apple, dollop of creamy, sharp goat yogurt and topping of walnuts and almonds ground up with a single dried fig into a deliciously moreish crumble. Finished with a shake of ground cinnamon, it feels like starting the day with dessert!

Finley is also a fan of apple breakfast, although he will make exceptions for scrambled eggs, fennel or Toulouse sausages, pancakes or a smoothie.

It was whilst searching for an accompaniment to the rare holiday pleasure of TV breakfast that I offered Finley a smoothie. We discourage eating in the living room and especially eating in front of TV as I believe that eating should be done at a table. The pale living room carpet always backs me up in my mission to confine food to the kitchen.

However, Fin never gets to lounge on a week day with his round blue eyes turning square and I felt like indulging him.

I made a standard banana smoothie - the kind that Nick scarfs down every morning - and on a whim, threw in two teaspoons of cocoa and a hefty dose of vanilla. Fin has been reading Roald Dahl's, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory aloud at bedtime with something approaching religious fervour - that's generally how chocolate is regarded in these parts.

Fin barely inclined his head towards me as I handed him the smoothie and returned to the dishes. A few moments later the kitchen door flew open and Fin stood with a chocolate moustache and an expression of total wonder on his face. He gestured madly at the half full glass as though he were Marie Curie and informed me that THIS-WAS-ONE-DELICIOUS-SMOOTHIE! ran over and buried his face in my apron (which I had thankfully put on for the dishes) and made a mewling noise of appreciation.

For the rest of the day I could do no wrong.


This is my submission for this month's Go Ahead Honey It's Gluten Free! Lounging on the sofa is about as close as any of us get to breakfast in bed - so I hope you think it counts!

Chocolate & Banana Breakfast Smoothie (makes 1 glass)

1 very ripe banana

2 heaped dessert spoons of yogurt

2 tsp organic, fairtrade, unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tsp local honey

1 tsp vanilla extract

about 100ml nut milk (or any other milk)

It couldn't be simpler really - Peel and break up the banana and throw everything except the nut milk into a blender.

Blend until a smooth, thick mixture forms - scraping down if necessary.

Add enough nut milk to make a drinkable consistency and pour into a glass. Voila!

Serve with a flourish and a big kiss on the lips. x x x