Saturday, April 11, 2009

Gluten Free Canapes - Go Ahead Honey it's Gluten Free (April)

With Easter fast approaching, eggs to paint and canapes to invent for this month's Go Ahead Honey it's Gluten Free!, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and make some canapes that involve eggs. But most eggs are really rather too large to fit into your mouth in one bite, and chopped egg just isn't refined enough for a canape. The egg of choice for those seeking something tiny enough to sit on something the size of a ritz biscuit is laid by a quail and comes in the most beautiful speckled shell, biscuit tan with chocolate spots and a pale, luminescent blue inside.

Finley had an easter egg painting competition to enter and had the idea to paint eggs of different sizes to resemble Russian Babushka Dolls. I myself painted these ones below after my sister sent me a blank set for Christmas.

Fin watched me apply the different layers whenever I had a few free minutes, spots and flowers, hands, eyes, aprons and round red mouths. Marveling at the transformation each day he returned from school. When the time came to paint his own eggs he refined the elements to scarf, face and hands - my favourite is the tiny quail's egg baby with the wonky expression. We hung them proudly in the bird tree (temporarily the easter tree).

I set to thinking about my canapes and how I would get that combination of crisp, soft, flavoursome and gorgeous without involving, grain, sugar or tomatoes. I wrote a list up on the wipe board and tried to imagine how each one would taste. 

Would I make mini pea blinis with french cream and carrot crisps? A parmesan cheese basket with avocado and a quail's egg? A crisp cheese cracker with caramelised onion, wild garlic and a cool swirl of hung yogurt? My mouth tasted the words and textures for days as I thought through the endless possibilities. I guess I could have made them all but I had my quail's eggs and I was determined to use them. I decided to make Serrano ham crisps with a smokey, squash and red onion paste topped with a soft boiled quail's egg half and a couple of chives for that allium kick.

Tomorrow I'll tell you how I did it and how they tasted. I hope you'll join me by making some canapes of your own. The submission deadline is April 25th and I will post the round up at the end of the month. They don't have to be fancy, just small!

x x x