Saturday, October 6, 2007

Pawn Queen

I haven't posted anything about Fin's winsome ways for a while and tonight gave me an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Nick and Fin were playing chess at the kitchen table before supper, Fin complaining about any aggressive moves Nick made to take a particular pawn. 'Take something else!' he kept saying, 'I want to make this pawn into a queen'. Nick, growing more exasperated as the game crawled painfully along broke out with, 'Fin you're obsessed with becoming a queen, maybe we should call this game, 'Becoming Queen' instead of chess. 'I am not obsessed with becoming a queen', replied Fin indignantly, 'I just want this pawn to get to the other side and turn into a queen so I can win'. Then in a moment of clarity, 'why don't we call it, 'Pawn Queen', instead of chess?' (eliciting a huge snigger from me) and sensing he was onto a good thing, 'Pawn Queen, (snigger), Pawn Queen, (chortle), Pawn Queen!' (guffaw). He knew it was good, he just didn't know why.....