Rose Martini




As I'm kinda on a roll here with the rose thing, I thought I'd include one of my very own cocktails; a rose martini. It has a little hazelnut kick that rounds out the floral notes and provides warmth. I also like to use bourbon vanilla extract which gives it a nice earthy note - perfect with rose.  Ndali from Waitrose is the best extract I've found, as it has a great balance of sweet vanilla seed with earthy pod flavour.









Naomi's Rose Martini
Makes Two Martinis

3 shots of gin (Hendricks is my favourite)
1 shot of rosewater
1 shot of hazelnut liqueur (Frangelico usually)
2 drops of vanilla extract (Bourbon is the earthiest)
1/2 tsp caster or icing sugar
sprinkle of fresh or dried rose petals (optional)

Place two martini glasses carefully in the freezer to chill.

Put rose water, vanilla and sugar into a tall glass (half pint or larger) leave for a few minutes for the sugar to dissolve and then add the gin and hazelnut liqueur.

Get the glasses out of the freezer. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and pour the contents of the glass over it. Do not shake! Swill the alcohol around the cocktail shaker for about 30 seconds until the shaker gets frosty and strain into the waiting glasses. Go as camp as you like with the garnish - rose petals, umbrellas or a few blueberries on a cocktail stick suspended in the glass.